Life goals include never being a charlatan and peaking sometime around the year 2050.
I live in Munich with my wife, two kids, and two cats. I lead the open data program at Amazon Web Services, where we focus on making data easier for people to access and use.
I often give presentations on how organizations can use emerging technologies to fulfill their missions.
Past speaking engagements include:
- Data Driven: The Road to Increased Impact
NetHope, Dublin, 2018
- Creating value through Open Data
European Meteorological Society Annual Meeting, Budapest, 2018
- Opportunities and Challenges Presented by the Digital Economy (video)
Global Space Economic Workshop, Paris, 2017
- Earth on AWS (video)
AWS re:Invent, Las Vegas, 2016
- Democratizing Access to Planetary-Scale Data
White House Frontiers Conference, Pittsburgh, 2016
- Open Data and Business
International Open Data Conference, Madrid, 2016
- Data Processing without Servers (video)
AWS Public Sector Summit, DC, 2016
- Earth Observation in the Cloud: Lessons from Landsat on AWS
Earth Observation Open Science 2.0, European Space Agency, Frascati, Italy, 2015
- Los Medios Sociales y el Futuro del Periodismo (Social Media and the Future of Journalism)
State Department Bureau of International Information Programs, Costa Rica, 2013
- Introducing Measured Voice (video)
Code for America Summit, San Francisco, 2012
- Do People Really Want Participatory Government?
- The Blogging of the Bureaucracy: How to Use Social Media From Inside Government
Personal Democracy Forum, NYC, 2009